Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die"

*It is finally here, the moment that will tear the web apart. It seems people hate it or love it. Now for my two cents. Ready?




     Both the hype and criticism can be put to rest as the new “indie queen” finally unleashed a project that had the whole country talking. Lana Del Rey aka Lizzy Grant released her highly promoted debut album, Born to Die, under Interscope Records and I can do nothing but praise the effort. Preceded by singles, “Video Games”, “Blue Jeans”, and the title track, the album is a dramatic piece that combines themes of lost love, feminism and alcohol. While the songwriting can get overlooked in some places, no one can deny the near perfect vocals that spill out of Del Rey. Barely released, the album can have a shot at one of the best releases on the year. Now sit back and take notes.
     The brilliant album starts off with the title track and second official single. I was already drawn to Lana’s flame well before its release, but when “Born to Die” and its video came out, I knew I was going to be addicted for quite some time. The song is sung like releasing a fantastic track is nothing difficult. The track deals with a struggling relationship, but Lana puts so much more into it. The fast-paced “Off to the Races” was the first song that was clearly different from the official singles. Instead of showcasing a depressing tone, Del Rey emits a sense of attitude and swag. During the chorus, Del Rey’s voice changes back and forth between the gangster she has been referred to and a little girl; a great mix to me. The song shows range and variety and she needed it. “Blue Jeans” was the song that made me a true Del Rey fan. Something about the low-tempo love song captivated me into wanting more from the artist. While the verses are great alone, it was the chorus that really caught my eye. Lana sings “I will love you till the end of time” in a sweet voice of innocents that quickly changes into a sassy, f*** you attitude. The track is full of emotion and I felt every one. When the internet was buzzing about first single, “Video Games”, I must be honest and say that I was not too impressed at the time. While Del Rey’s voice was haunting in a good way, the song did not have much meat to it. My attitude for the track has changed so much. I cannot help but listen to the hurt in Lana’s voice; it all hit me at once and I am addicted. Del Rey advises listeners to put on their heart-shaped sunglasses on the fresh, yet weirdly titled, “Diet Mtn Dew”. I think some of the album’s best writing is featured on this cut, incorporating Jesus, New York, and roller coasters throughout. The chorus flows really well and may be the best quality of the whole song. The artist reinvents herself on the track and keeps the project from being just one note. The summer and patriotic inspired “National Anthem” is one of my favorite moments on the entire project although I will drop it a few points for not being as innovative as its demo. The intro is beautiful, sounds a bit like The Verve’s “Bittersweet Symphony”, but it lost the edge that I feel in love with. Del Rey’s performance is still perfection, and the chorus is truly remarkable, but I feel that I will stick with the older, under produced version.
     The second half of the standard edition album begins with the best moment off the entire effort. “Dark Paradise” is captivating and hypnotizing as soon as the first few notes play. Lana is describing a lost love in the most painful way possible, as a paradise. The song resonates with me because I feel as if it was written for me and the events of my life the last few weeks. I think everything works here; production, vocals and the heartbreaking lyrics. Another powerful experience comes thanks to “Radio”, which seems to be an answer to critics’ opinions on her personal life. One lyric “life is as sweet as cinnamon, like a fucking dream I’m living in” is a clever line, one stuck in my head and I am glad it is. People want to befriend the artist only because she is famous now; that must suck. The performance is gold and warrants the success Lana is sure to receive. My small problems with the album begin with “Carmen”. The song is nothing bad, still almost as good as the rest of the track list, but I feel that it is a point where a character emerges, instead of an artist. The story is haunting, the vocals are mesmerizing, but I was not intrigued by the finished product. I would not call the song filler, just not the spectacular Lana. My praise ends with “Million Dollar Man”, a song that I have seen get great recognition, but I wish it was left off the album. Besides asking why her heart is broke, I don’t understand why the song was so amazing to be included. Del Rey’s performance is not convincing, the writing sounds flat and the production does not add anything at all. Maybe I am being harsh since it came after nine great songs. “Summertime Sadness” will have teenage girls crying all summer when they lose the one that they hold dear. Even though Del Rey sings the track with great composure, it seems she is holding back all the tears that are ready to fall. The chorus holds the most conviction and I feel it holds the entire piece together. The lyrics are top notch and once again Lana puts her signature style, something only she can do at the moment. The standard edition ends with “This is What Makes Us Girls”, a track that I hated when I came across a leaked demo version. My opinion has completely turned as I find the album version a true delight. It is an example at when over the top production really works. There is just something about the track now that has me nodding my head every once in a while. After starting with another alcohol reference, it is pure greatness afterwards.
     Even though this review is focused on the standard, 12-track edition of the album, “Without You” is a song that warrants the purchase of the deluxe edition. “Lolita” is a song I can care less about, and “Lucky You” borders on being just average. Take my word for it if you want.
     Born to Die is a polished debut that borders on the line of true perfection. Haters need to stop hating, and focus on the music that is being played instead of bashing the artist that is singing. Lana Del Rey may be a character, but is that bad? Each song plays like it is a mini movie; every track is a different experience. It is called range and should not be criticized. I can understand how the over-the-top production takes away from some of the rawness I heard before the album’s official release, but the vocals rival most of those that got Grammy nominations this year. My money is on Lana, I think this album can be a contender for the best of the year. I cannot get enough. The album receives a big and well-deserved 94%.

Tracks to Hear: “Born to Die”, “Blue Jeans”, “National Anthem”, and “Dark Paradise”.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar